Afew questions about the pocket P.C

Do you guys plan to develop a usb-c to headphone jack device?
Does the wifi card this uses require blobs and for that matter, does any of the pocket pc require any blobs to run on the software end? If so, do any pose a security risk aka, like a backdoor type one…
I wondered if you plan to use ath9k as that would be a good idea imo.
Or, could you make this device have one headphone jack on it? I don’t give a rats ass about bluetooth or hdmi/micro-hdmi… I think both things are too insecure for a design as good as this.
I wondered also though, how do you install an operating system on this. Is it any different than a raspberry-pi type install? I am considering this device, because I need something small, that is durable, to replace my mp3 player and be able to do light tasks on it such as focuswriter and stuff like that…
Also, I am curious why you choose to use usb-c on all of the ports and not have 4 usb 3.0’s
Can you tell me if you plan to make a device like the one I ask for regarding all that I have said here?

usb-c is massively inconvenient for me, but I love the size of this device and its look mostly. :slight_smile:

If this becomes possible, I am willing to at some point this year buy it for 400$

Otherwise, I may have to wait…

Hi Sable,

I don’t think this is a blob free project, there’s simply no hardware available that fits this bill.

Just my two cents, but would love to hear what options you would go for to achieve this.

Regards Ben

A standard USB-C to analog audio should work for it, based on how the device is designed.

The Wifi/Bluetooth appears to be an RTL8723DS, for which there needs to be binary blobs. According to the kernel wireless wiki, there are no ath9k devices that use SDIO: en:users:drivers [Linux Wireless] (kernel.org)

I don’t think they’ve figured out the install process yet, honestly. They expect to use some flashing tool like the old CHIPs used to use, but there seems to be a driver issue with Windows. My gut tells me either they’ll find a driver that’s signed that they can use for the FEL process, or they will rely on U-boot Fastboot mode to load the OS (probably using a web-based flasher just like the CHIPs did).