Pocket C.H.I.P and Popcorn Computer

Source Parts claims that the Popcorn Computer is pin-to-pin compatible with C.H.I.P. I’d love to test if this works with a Pocket C.H.I.P. Now to just get my hands on one of these.

Plus, if it was compatible, Source Parts could start making their own version of the Pocket C.H.I.P!

3 Likes

U here ? Oh No ! :sweat_smile:

I’m everywhere. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah, worth upgrading pocket’s chip brain…

1 Like

Hi there!
Apologies for the late response.
Good news, we test fitted Popcorn Computer in Pocket C.H.I.P. and behold! Pocket Popcorn.
Everything seems to test fit fine and the new 3D printed case for Popcorn looks great.

We are planning to have Popcorn Computer available on Amazon for sale by the middle of next month.

With the speed increases afforded by the new memory change we hope some of the issues with the original C.H.I.P will be a thing of the past.

Some further testing of the software will follow next week. We’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

What about software? OS? Flashing? Support for the original PocketCHIP?

4 Likes

I’ve signed up to comment on this thread, lol.

Very interested in what the reply to the last person was; Will you be offering an updated version of the OS? As you might know, the old CHIP images are somewhat deprecated and if you’re going to offer software support I’d be interested in supporting any future campaigns (missed the last one).

Hi @overseerua and @rafael. Thank you for joining the Popcorn Computer community.

Popcorn Computer will come with Debian 10 pre-installed.

Our online device management tools will be entering Beta testing within the next few weeks. The functionality is there but we need to make the UI more user friendly. We will be doing an open call for Beta testers early next week. If you would like to stay posted about our latest developments you can sign-up to our mailing list on the main Popcorn Computer page.

The online tool will allow you to flash, clone and backup Popcorn and C.H.I.P devices alike.

Cross-platform native apps for device management are currently blocked until USB support is added to the Electron Framework.

We plan on releasing a Debian 10 image for C.H.I.P and PocketC.H.I.P. Our online device management tools will be compatible with both.

Thanks for your interest. We are excited to get Popcorn out to you and release our tools that we have been working very hard to perfect this past year. We hope that it will bring even more enjoyment to users of C.H.I.P and PocketC.H.I.P. and ease the pain currently experienced with trying to flash or recover units that have stopped booting.

5 Likes

I would like to know how accessible will the GPIO be out of the box?

I remember early promises by NEXT Thing Co. when TWI, PWM and other protocols were not baked into early OS releases. Then it was an endless amount of cryptic overlays needed to get things working. While it’s great fun to pound away at the OS (if you are into that), some individuals, like me, came to the C.H.I.P. wanting a hardware ready platform to develop on.

That was the biggest turn off, that led to my C.H.I.P.'s and PocketC.H.I.P.S becoming handheld retro game platforms.

Is your company planning on correcting the mistakes of yesteryear, and produce an OS, out of the box, which will have all the GPIO accessible for development?

Thank you for any reply. Have a great day!

2 Likes

So Popcorn should be on Amazon mid October? Chip has caused me a lot of regret, loss of time and anguish. Moreso because the company closed without enough support for Windows flashers. I hope you guys don’t do that. Your scripts being online as well…
Chip was very hard to flash anyway. I remember even in perfect conditions it was like rolling the dice. My advice would be to make flashing popcorn easier.
I’d be interested in getting popcorn in Pocketchip as well, but maybe if popcorn had its own case, that would be cool too.

2 Likes

@crackers

I agree :clap:. I think the lesson from NTC is not to over promise what you can deliver; consistency in supply, shipping, and support.

I am not sure if you are aware crackers but chip-community org does a great job explaining how to flash your chips. Sorry if you already know this but maybe someone else will get use out of it.

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes, I’m aware. Every method failed to flash my Pocketchip, including virtual box as well as using Linux. I was finally able to flash it, after hours/days of trying, using Thore-Krugs script. However even that didn’t initially work. I had to use a workaround to get sunxi-nand-image-builder also installed. Only then did it work. So it was a nightmare. I was worried I’d never be able to unbrick my Pocketchip. I respect the Linux community, but I’m no expert and yet I was supposed to figure out how to build sunxi-tools.

The method needs to be user friendly, and not completely dependant on Linux either (as in doable on Windows as well). I know it’s too much to ask, but a reassurance that we won’t be left high and dry like with NTC again would be nice. For now, their idea to make it possible to flash from anywhere through the web sounds great, but what happens if that’s down?

Thanks again to the devs for trying to make the method so accessible. :slight_smile:

@crackers
Sorry to hear that CHIP caused you pain. We would like to build a cross-platform application but there is currently some limitations with the technology that we used which is so new that doesn’t currently work with our desired desktop application technology.
As for web browser support, we are adding offline support to the roadmap so that if our servers go down you can still flash your device if you have already downloaded the file.
Popcorn has it’s own case named Stovetop with adds some other desired features to use with Popcorn such as HDMI and SD Card.

@3vlth3cat
You will have the same GPIO support as C.H.I.P out of the box except for the XIO currently. We removed the original IO expander IC and are now using a system controller to drive the XIO GPIO. It will function the same as the original XIO driver.
We have a robust updating system that will add support of something that is missing or desired. I am a hardware developer, I want to develop on this hardware as much as you do. We hope we can deliver an initial OS out of the box that meets your expectation or exceeds it.

4 Likes

@sourceparts

Thank you for the explanation. Love the sound of the Stovetop+Popcorn combo! Glad to see the switch to USB-C. What power supply rating are we looking at to drive the complete package?

Excited for your launch this month; can’t wait to get my hands on the hardware so I can start playing!

Thank you for your time and have a great day!

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: would there be any vga support?

1 Like

I too, am a C.H.I.P. refugee!
I hope to be able to have a useful replacement soon!

Hi, PocketCHIP user here from the old days! Just wondering if the Popcorn with HDMI output fits with the PC as well. Thanks in advance.

we would really really really really really really like an update on production here. Y’all promised videos months ago.

1 Like

According to the chat on the Discord-server, the consensus seems to be, that the project is dead and the money is lost.