Pocket C.H.I.P and Popcorn Computer

Source Parts claims that the Popcorn Computer is pin-to-pin compatible with C.H.I.P. I’d love to test if this works with a Pocket C.H.I.P. Now to just get my hands on one of these.

Plus, if it was compatible, Source Parts could start making their own version of the Pocket C.H.I.P!

2 Likes

U here ? Oh No ! :sweat_smile:

I’m everywhere. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah, worth upgrading pocket’s chip brain…

1 Like

Hi there!
Apologies for the late response.
Good news, we test fitted Popcorn Computer in Pocket C.H.I.P. and behold! Pocket Popcorn.
Everything seems to test fit fine and the new 3D printed case for Popcorn looks great.

We are planning to have Popcorn Computer available on Amazon for sale by the middle of next month.

With the speed increases afforded by the new memory change we hope some of the issues with the original C.H.I.P will be a thing of the past.

Some further testing of the software will follow next week. We’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

What about software? OS? Flashing? Support for the original PocketCHIP?

1 Like

I’ve signed up to comment on this thread, lol.

Very interested in what the reply to the last person was; Will you be offering an updated version of the OS? As you might know, the old CHIP images are somewhat deprecated and if you’re going to offer software support I’d be interested in supporting any future campaigns (missed the last one).

Hi @overseerua and @rafael. Thank you for joining the Popcorn Computer community.

Popcorn Computer will come with Debian 10 pre-installed.

Our online device management tools will be entering Beta testing within the next few weeks. The functionality is there but we need to make the UI more user friendly. We will be doing an open call for Beta testers early next week. If you would like to stay posted about our latest developments you can sign-up to our mailing list on the main Popcorn Computer page.

The online tool will allow you to flash, clone and backup Popcorn and C.H.I.P devices alike.

Cross-platform native apps for device management are currently blocked until USB support is added to the Electron Framework.

We plan on releasing a Debian 10 image for C.H.I.P and PocketC.H.I.P. Our online device management tools will be compatible with both.

Thanks for your interest. We are excited to get Popcorn out to you and release our tools that we have been working very hard to perfect this past year. We hope that it will bring even more enjoyment to users of C.H.I.P and PocketC.H.I.P. and ease the pain currently experienced with trying to flash or recover units that have stopped booting.

1 Like