Pocket P.C. Development Updates

Sorry for being out of touch, we are extensively examining all aspects of the product. We had thorough discussions with our manufacturer to make sure nothing is missed.

Testing also took longer than expected. As a result of our exhaustive testing, we decided we will have to do a second D.V.T. We recently had a large and productive meeting with representatives from all the factories involved in manufacturing Pocket P.C.'s parts so make sure that everyone is on the same page.

We made a few mistakes to the PCB design and would feel more comfortable to make sure we correct them in a second D.V.T. before going to the P.V.T. phase.

As you can see below, the keyboard is almost there.

• The status LED is a little too bright which causes the blue to bleed into the main keyboard when itā€™s on.
  • A covering is missing over the LED where the newly added buttons are which is why the keyboard is slightly brighter there. We will correct this in the M.P. keyboard covers.
  • The keyboard was silkscreen by hand and the black is a little too thin. We will ask them to do two passes in the M.P.
  • There was a software file glitch at the factory which caused the right-most button on the bottom to show question marks instead of the actual characters. We will ask them to correct and carefully review the silkscreen stencil against the proof before doing the silkscreen in the future.
  • Some characters are hard to read so we will be making them bigger in the final version.

Iā€™ve taken a lot of pictures and videos which we have to edit together and are planning on sharing those soon.

As for the PCB, we made a change log document and have since corrected 90% of the items.
We are commissioning an outside engineering firm to double-check everything They will review the schematic and layout to make sure we donā€™t miss anything and will give us an outside opinion.

You can view the change log here:
Pocket P.C. Rev 2.1 Change Log

As for software, we will be contracting an outside embedded development firm to upstream everything from U-boot specific changes including Device Tree, Linux Kernel changes including Device Tree, Buildroot configuration and an Armbian build configuration.

This means that we will be supporting Armbian in addition to Debian.

The above is a summary of what will be in our next update. Now that the testing phase is over, I can devote time to writing our newsletter and blog updates.

If anyone has emailed us in the past few weeks, we will respond to all your questions soon, I apologize for falling behind on customer service but please know that we are dedicating all our resources to making an excellent product without blemishes or flaws.

5 Likes

looking good! nice to see that your team is finding and fixing problems this is more than half of the fun of backing a new idea/product!

Thanks for the update and photo :). The change log was great to read.

OK, that photo is the first one that looks convincingly like real hardwareā€¦ I finally feel confident enough to put in a preorder. Donā€™t disappoint me LOL.

1 Like

Appreciate the info and look forward to release (Iā€™m already backing both this and the original popcorn).

Speaking of which, how are things going with that? I just dusted off my pocketchip the other day and had some fun getting Ubuntu 20.04 with a 5.10 kernel running on it. Curious when I can do the same with this?

Our latest update sent out to newsletter subscribers yesterday can be found on our blog here:

1 Like

The next production run of Original Popcorn was contingent on onboarding the new factory and formal verification of Pocket P.C. D.V.T. units. Original Popcorn and Pocket P.C. share some of the same components and PCB design thus we wanted to see how the factories manufacturing process would fair against Pocket P.C. before manufacturing Original Popcorn. We sent an update out to those who preordered Original Popcorn in October. If you did not receive our previous update, please email us at support@source.parts so I can be sure to add you to the list. Our next Original Popcorn update will be within a few days.

Been quite a while since thereā€™s been an updateā€¦ is there anything new to share?

5 Likes

Newsletter and Blog update will be sent out by the end of the week. We have been working nonstop to get DVT2 units assembled before Chinese New Year. Most factories donā€™t take on new orders during this time. This involved working with a new factory who could accommodate our requirements and auditing them. More details to come soon.

1 Like

Iā€™m new here, do I still have opportunity to buy a popcorn computer?

Ubuntu 20.04 with a 5.10 kernel running on pocketchip ļ¼Ÿwowļ¼Œ :+1:Coolļ¼How did you do that? Can you share it?

Link to Reddit Post

Here is my write up and links to files.

Why not? :wink: Preorder yours at https://shop.popcorncomputer.com/

Are you taking pre orders on the lora gnss version. Possible shipping dates?

Hi Usagi, I ordered a lora/gnss version a while back in pre-order. From what I have been told is that they will produce the base model first and directly after that the lora/gnss version. The time line is fluent as with any other tech crowd funding based project. But progress has been steady, incremental and professional so I personally have no doubt that it will be ready soon.

Thank you!This is awesome, I am trying nowā€¦ā€¦

Check out Pocket P.C. booting for the first time!
We got this working before the Chinese New Year but did not have a chance to post it until today.
Newsletter and blog article to be sent and posted later this week.

3 Likes

We were traveling recently for the Chinese New Year and wanted to do further development on Pocket P.C. while on the high-speed train. We used a USB serial terminal app on an Android phone and connected Pocket P.C. to the phone via the dedicated USB serial console. Our engineers are working towards bringing up the display so that we will be able to use that soon as well.

4 Likes

Just boot on it for the first time? Still no display.
So itā€™s impossible to ship in Q1 this year. :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, a little more clear communication - on this topic also - would really be nice. Pocket Popcorn Computer still refers to August 2020 as shipping estimation.

Iā€™m really looking forward to receiving mine. The sooner, the betterā€¦

3 Likes