Pocket P.C. Development Updates

Do you have any news for us?

Kind Regards

1 Like

Is there a new delivery date?

Latest update just posted to our blog here:

Another update to be posted sometime next week after we have some time to test the latest DVT production run.

1 Like

Thanks for the antenna improvements. I would prefer to wait so something can be better btw. So I am glad you did take the time to do so.

Thank you very much. Any updates on the Original Popcorn? My PocketCHIP quivers in anticipation, and my GCC is champing at the bit if you need help with U-boot or Linux on said Original Popcorn → PocketCHIP development.

Also, what’s the holdup on the DSI screen driver for the PocketPC? I’ve done some work on the mainline drivers for the Odroid Go Super screen, so maybe I can help?

Hello Together,

do you have any news about the last DVT run for us?

Regards

1 Like

Hello All. We were expected to produce the final production samples last week. When our factory went to perform a final inventory check they found that 18 resistor and capacitor reels were missing. (Some of those reels cost over $200 each.) The factory we used in February did not return these reels after we had the last batch produced. We have been sourcing those new components and finally shipped the last of them this week to our usual factory. Production of the samples is planned for early next week.
An update will be sent to the mailing list and posted on our blog by tomorrow.

1 Like

Hello,

first thank your for your little Update.
You are working on a great product and we all can’t wait to hold it in our hands.

Unfortunately “tomorrow” is now 9 days over and still no new news.
Can your please update us more frequently?

You scheduled shipment for Q4, with a delay of more than an year, and we haven’t seen a functioning device until now.

Please understand me correctly, i do not want to hate or something, but some more frequent updates would give the community a bit better feeling on this.

Regards

3 Likes

Hello,

we got the last update almost a month ago. According to the last blog entry you should be assembling the new pcbs. How is that going so far?

Regards

:cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

Hello,
I have now waited way too long. I’d like to cancel my order and get refunded. What is the way to proceed ?

Thanks in advance.

I apologize for the delay in my response on this community forum. I have been posting frequent updates in our Discord server, if you want to get the latest information, please feel free to join us there. I usually post there first.
I’ve been working on the display driver myself as I only have one working board from the previous run. The driver is written but we are having some issues with the initialization sequence provided by the manufacturer. There are some commands that are in that file that are not in the datasheet. We are waiting for some clarity on that.
The production samples were assembled on Thursday. The factory’s quality engineer (QE) checked the boards yesterday. I should be receiving them either Monday or Tuesday.
Once these new boards arrive, I can ship them to developers who have been waiting to get their software running on it.

We have tested most of the functionality of the hardware with the previous DVT units.

USB, SD, eMMC, USB-PD, USB Serial Converter, Black Magic Probe, Keyboard Controller, LoRa, LCD Power Regulators, Backlight

All are working.

If anyone would like a refund, please email support@source.parts.

We are close to determining the final production schedule after we have had a week or so of testing the PCBs.

1 Like

Looks great to see a populated board, please remember to work on PR as well as the display driver both are important :sweat_smile:

Wow!
A lot has happened since our last post.

The Display and Touch screen work! SPI-NOR Flash works! Wi-Fi works!
Thanks to help from Icenowy Zheng. She is a Linux-sunxi developer.
She sent over this picture.

Last thing to check is the Display Port converter. HDMI had the wrong pin-out so we are making an adapter to verify and then correct in the PVT version.

For those curious, you can see our latest Linux development branch here:

We are preparing a newsletter/blog update and will be sending that out soon.

Nice job, excited update. But you must be quick, here’s your competitor: https://www.clockworkpi.com/product-page/devterm-kit-rpi-cm3

Emailing support@source.parts was mentioned to get a refund.
I’ve sent 2 emails so far (starting August 31), and I haven’t received any answers yet.
I am curious if anyone else was able to get a refund?

Hi @tsileo,
Sorry that I missed your email.
This is why we are bringing someone else on board to help with email support.
I just sent you an email. Please check.

No problem, I received the email, thank you!

For me, that is not a competitor. The device is way more bulky, has a much lower resolution (1280 x 480) while having a bigger sized screen. I feel that is more a dev-kit (as name suggests ^^) while the Pocket P.C. is more a (kind-of) final device to work with…

Yeah, it looks nice that device, shame they didn’t put the PI 4 in it. It’s a different device that’s less pockatable and almost feels like an Alphasmart successor.