SPI EEPROM on Pocket P.C.?

Will the Pocket Popcorn include an SPI EEPROM? If so, what is the expected size? If not, are there GPIO pins inside the case that I could put one on?

In an absolutely perfect world I could get Tianocore on there and instead of futzing with U-Boot, device trees and whatnot have all the hardware definitions done in Tianocore and just boot Linux like it’s any other operating system on a standard PC. If the SPI flash is already there in the BOM it’s just a matter of making sure it’s in the boot order in the bootrom, right?

Thank you.

Hi @macromorgan

Pocket P.C. includes a 32GB eMMC and an internal SD card connector. If the eMMC is blank, it will try to boot from the SD card. There is no separate SPI memory currently in the design. Can you make use of the eMMC or SD card?

Hi @macromorgan

We have some good news! We added an SPI EEPROM to the PCB design. The footprint and pads for an EEPROM will be there. We have yet to decide whether we will populate it in the mass production units. We may have it be an option that you can add at checkout or add for a fee if you already ordered.

SPI EEPROM Footprint in PCB Design

We have a variety of component options that will fit here. The package size is WSON-8.
We will be trying two options in D.V.T. units.
W25N01GVZEIG = 1Gbit / 128MB
MX35LF2G14AC-Z4I = 2Gbit / 256MB

4 Likes

Awesome, good to hear. Feel free to do whichever what doesn’t hurt the price/utility for the community. With a 128MB chip you could fit a full pre-boot distro on there and kexec whatever the hell else you wanted…

2 Likes