Bluetooth Audio Codec Support?

Is aptx, aptx LL, aptx HD, SBC XQ, LDAC, ACC supported?

SBC XQ (SBC but at really high bitrates instead of default limits): http://soundexpert.org/articles/-/blogs/audio-quality-of-sbc-xq-bluetooth-audio-codec

Thank you again for your time and efforts.

Well, it’s a Linux computer, so you can install any codec you’d like as long as there is a Linux port for it. AptX is proprietary, so only halfway working reverse engineered port is available, same applies to all its variations. The others might be easier to obtain. But in any case, it’s your responsibility to find and install the codecs you want.

yea i know about normal codecs (ffmpeg, libflac, etc) to run on cpu. i assumed it was some odd proprietary thing in the bluetooth firmware but didnt know if it was something devs had to enable or pay for to be permitted to distribute it. all the nda crap makes its a pain to find anything out about theres bluetooth IC’s! so i didn’t bother searching! tried in the past and not got very clear answers. so now i stick to what the seller says it supports, not what i optimistically think it may support as thats quite possibly wrong.

Whats this half reverse engineered port of aptx :)? oow link or keywords to search?

i guess this is it :slight_smile: GitHub - Arkq/openaptx: Reverse-engineered apt-X audio codec

1 Like

i do with wish there was higher near lossless quality codec for bluetooth that was standard and free of patents and fees , copyleft licensed too! arrrgh

The problem with Bluetooth is it has very unstable bandwidth and it dips down to the range of 100kbps. So what you need is a codec that can adapt to bandwidth changes very fast. In some situations, with latest Bluetooth, you could even stream FLAC directly, but that requires nearly perfect conditions, and it would start stuttering as soon as that changes. So for that reason, AptX HD is designed in a way that it switches between regular AptX and lossless depending on the connection strength.

Most of these are proprietary, so there isn’t much to base on. If you were going to write an open source alternative codec, you would basically have to do it from scratch.

And yeah, these SBCs (nor any other that I know of) don’t have any Bluetooth audio-specific hardware. They just have a Bluetooth transceiver and what you do with it is entirely up to the installed software. By comparison, DAPs usually have a dedicated hardware chip designed to decode Bluetooth audio. That’s what decides the supported codecs there.

Thank you for the education. Had been bugging me.

for longer range im experimenting with 5.8ghz fpv for wireless speaker lossless links by sending spdif over the video channel. it needs line of sight for reliable connection. As bodies get in the way. or maybe a wall or door or two ok in a average 4 bedroom house with 600mw and directional anterior hehe. not sure if thats a good idea…

For high quality, within 10m range wireless audio link that is harder to interrupt. Been revising bluetooth. Now theres TrueWireless Stereo it makes it possible for me to diy and have wireless stereo speakers. hopefully with better quality with aptx. I didn’t like the sound of acc bluetooth speakers. Sounded compressed, more so with people playing mp3s to begin with.As bodies get in the way.

If you’re willing to use a non-standard wireless link (i.e. something that’s not a widely supported codec over Bluetooth), I would recommend you to just stream FLAC over WiFi Direct or using a WiFi hotspot. You could even host a DLNA server on your source device and the speakers would be a DLNA client. That would in fact be a standard solution so you wouldn’t need to reinvent the wheel :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s no need to waste bandwidth on streaming uncompressed PCM when FLAC can compress it down to 50% or less of original size and is still completely lossless. And there’s no need to go into extreme high frequency bands when you can just use 2.4GHz (WiFi) that penetrates obstacles way better. Even something around 700MHz (don’t remember the exact bands, they’re very widely used too) should be enough for lossless (but still compressed) audio. Basically, the lower frequency you use, the better it penetrates obstacles at the cost of lower bandwidth.

Yea flac wifi streaming is a good idea. Needed to face up setting up SBC or laptops for it. I did want a system that djs can plug into. Could add a usb ADC for that. Latency is important though. I thought the wifi flac streaming had latency and required raw access to files? when with a dj, its the output from there dj program or hardware outputed via a DAC/headphone/RCA,etc output.

For syncing multi able rooms via wifi/dnla i thought delay was used to put all rooms in sync. Which means its not right for wireless left and right stereo speakers. Which is what the 2.8ghz link is for. as well as for the option of wireless dj link to sound system.

For my self, yea i could use wifi/dlna. easier with my own laptop or a pocket pc :). Good point!

Did i get anything wrong/misunderstand?

Thank you for encouraging me to look into it again and the dlna suggestion.